Saturday, January 8, 2011

Hidden Genius and Public Schools

How Some Schools Are Cheating Gifted Students by Abusing Their Talents and Abilities for Personal Classroom Gain or Simply Declaring Gifted Students "special"

Growing up in Dallas, Texas was just fine, but the school system was a whole other story at the time. While numerous teachers and faculty recognized my abilities to learn quickly and be creative, others shunned my behavior as “special needs” material, and I do not mean “special needs” as in gifted classes, but special education.

Sometime between my 3rd and 4th grade year, my grades for some reason started to slip. This was at the same time that I had trouble seeing in class. I was fitted for glasses, and that handled my seeing problem, but trouble followed.

I could see my work, but I slowly couldn’t understand the content in several of my classes. It started to become a serious mystery, and after long drawn out discussions between me, my parents, and a special ed. teacher, and my mainstream teachers, I found myself the next few weeks later sitting in a small room with 4 other students.

My parents fought as hard as they can…and most of there fighting succeeded, due to the fact there was a moment that some of my mainstream teachers wanted me to take pills for what they declared “hyperactivity.” Otherwise, I spent endless time in special education with my obligated focus on math and reading. Needless to say it was rather embarrassing both inside and outside of class.

Having to walk out during the middle of your regular class and than walk back in not but a few minutes later, and having your classmates look as you as if you just came from a psychiatric evaluation. Although it could be considered funny now, for thousands of kids and there bewildered parents, it is no laughing matter! Like only a few children, I had a different way of thinking compared to my other classmates. I was able to comprehend different things in different ways, almost as if my brain was working a different wave length compared to the rest of the other kids in my mainstream classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment